Content material of the fabric
- Related Discussions
- Vent Hood Ducts
- What size range hood do I need for a 54 range?
- Calculator: How Many CFM Do You Need?
- Range Hood Height, Surface Area Considerations & More
- Do You Need a Range Hood?
- How Do I Measure Range Hood Height and Depth?
- What to Look for in a Range Hood
- Power or Venting Strength
- Ventilation Method
- Types of Range Hoods
- For Residential or Those With Limited Space – Standard or Retractable Downdraft Hoods
- Custom Range Hoods
- Additions for Big Kitchens
- What Size Range Hood Would I Need for a 36″ Range?
- Can I Install a Range Hood Even if I Have Cabinet Installations?
- How Far Should Your Range Hood Stick Out?
- Get our catalog
Range Hood Sizing
I agree with the fact that the proportions are not the most favorable. The issue lies with form over function and if you want the vent to do it's job the you have to follow the manufacturer recommendations. Quite often you will find that the standard is to have up to the hood 3" wider on each side so as to capture the grease, fumes etc. I have worked with both custom and volume builder jobs and I see both depending on the brand of hood and the brand of cooktop. There really is no wrong answer, just what is right for your specified models….See More
Range Hood — What size do I really need
I have a professional gas range 6 burner 36" wide and my hood fan is almost 24" deep this is pretty normal for a gas range. It is not just how it looks but also how it functions and there are proportions the are required to exhaust properly. I don't find the proportions odd at all your range comes out at least 26" from the wall…See More
Need help selecting a wall-mounted range hood
Unfortunately, our products are a bit out of your stated price range, but we would strongly recommend against buying any Chinese-made hood (Cavaliere, Euro-Kitchen, etc). The minor difference in price for an upgrade to at least an American brand (e.g. Broan), is well worth the difference in quality, reliability, and customer service. Consider this: range hoods need to be installed. Buying a cheap hood may cost you more in the long run, due to the expenses involved in troubleshooting, un-installing, and re-installing it. Not to mention that cut-rate hoods use cheap 400-series steel, which will discolor over time; unlike the higher-end hoods, whose AISI 304 stainless steel is truly stainless, and will look as good 10 years down the road as the day you bought it. We completely understand that budgets can only be stretched so far, and not everyone has the room for $ 1500+ European hoods, but we've heard way too many horror stories about cut-rate appliances, to ever recommend shooting for the bottom of the price range….See More
Vent Hood Ducts
In the case of ductwork, it is a numbers recreation.
- Select ducting that is the identical dimension as or barely bigger than the vent opening. The extra highly effective the hood, the bigger the duct. As an illustration, a typical 400-cfm unit requires a 6-inch duct, whereas a 1,200-cfm mannequin wants a 10- to 12-inch duct.
- For the very best airflow, use clean galvanized steel ducting somewhat than versatile or corrugated ducting. Seal joints with duct-joint mastic tape.
- Preserve duct runs as straight and quick as potential. Use gradual, 45-degree turns somewhat than 90-degree ones. The less the turns, the extra environment friendly the system can be.
What dimension vary hood do I would like for a 54 vary?
With 54″ kitchen ranges, we suggest both a 54″ or a 60″ vary hood.Our 54 and 60” hoods pull as much as 2000 CFM of air, which is a ton! Bear in mind after I talked concerning the small 100 CFM hoods that you would be able to buy at Dwelling Depot and different big-box shops? Our 60″ hoods have as much as 20 instances that energy!You must be sure to have sufficient energy (CFM) for any sized vary hood, however that is particularly essential in the case of the bigger hoods. You’ll be able to examine it right here in our CFM ultimate guide. It’s considered one of our most useful articles.
Calculator: How Many CFM Do You Want?
Vary Hood Peak, Floor Space Concerns & Extra
As a normal rule, calculate 100 cfm for each linear foot of cooking floor. For professional-style ranges, the system is 100 cfm for each 10,000 BTUs your equipment places out. Different components come into play as nicely. For each 3 inches a hood exceeds the advised peak above the cooktop, add 100 cfm.
Island hoods require further cfm to compensate for cross drafts, so calculate 150 cfm per linear foot for typical cooktops; add a further 100 cfm to the pro-range estimate. And take into account the way you prepare dinner. In case you not often grill or stir-fry at excessive warmth, you might be able to go together with a decrease cfm than advisable.
Do You Want a Vary Hood?
The quick reply is: Sure, you want a spread hood. The extra debatable questions are what sort of vary hood will work on your house, and the way massive ought to one be for the cooking that occurs in your kitchen?
There are just a few fundamental however essential concerns for owners when planning to incorporate a spread hood of their kitchen replace:
How Do I Measure Vary Hood Peak and Depth?
Discovering the best match on your vary hood requires jotting down just a few essential dimensions. To get an thought of the house it’s important to work with, begin by measuring the cooking floor, then transfer on to measuring the world between the cupboards, the peak above the cooking floor and the depth of the cooking floor. Work your manner by the steps under to assemble actual measurements on your vary hood.
What to Search for in a Vary Hood
Greater than the same old components like value, and vary hood dimension, there are 4 different issues you might want to consider.
Energy or Venting Power
The principle job of a air flow hood is to drag all air from the cooking floor. The air flow system ensures your kitchen stays contemporary and odor-free.
These are your finest buddies that will help you eradicate moisture from cooking grease or grilling in addition to to regulate the warmth contained in the kitchen.
You’ll have the ability to gauge the ability or airflow capability of your vary hood which is measured in cubic toes per minute or CFM.
For sure, the upper the quantity, the higher the capability to switch kitchen air at a sure time period.
Do you want a excessive CFM Hood? In case you spend regular hours cooking within the kitchen, a robust CFM hood would possibly simply be a waste of cash and isn’t utterly obligatory.
To present you an thought, 200-300 CFM is the common for many who have a residential vary. Industrial-style eating places want a robust vary hood that tends to have 900 CFM and above.
Air flow Technique
There are mainly two sorts of vary hoods: Ducted hoods or exterior Vary Hoods and recirculating Hoods.
Ductwork vary hoods expel the kitchen air.
To make this potential, you want exhaust ducts which can be mounted to the outside wall. Oftentimes, as these vent hoods require ductwork beneath or above, they could want skilled set up.
- A ducted hood is nice for many who stay in a standalone home or personal an residence. In any other case, it could be laborious to put in the tools or get approval out of your landlord to take action.
- Recirculating hoods, then again, operate and clear air by carbon or charcoal filters.
The most typical is the charcoal filter which does a terrific job in neutralizing odor. They don’t vent air exterior however somewhat, they pull within the air, course of it, and expel the air again to the kitchen.
To verify these are at their optimum performance, the filters want bi-annual upkeep, typically extra relying on how a lot you employ your kitchen.
Though hoods can typically course of all air and smoke from numerous cooktops, it’s finest to double-check with the producer in case your vary hood is appropriate along with your range.
Electrical stoves emit much less smoke, which suggests a mean dimension and CFM could be sufficient. A fuel cooktop, nevertheless, would possibly want a extra highly effective vary hood, particularly if it’s an enormous and enclosed kitchen.
Vary hoods could be thought-about an eyepiece in your kitchen.
As they’re enormous and protrude above your kitchen vary, they typically stand out.
The most secure, best, and go-to vary hood is a cover hood. Along with completely different shapes, you can too select from glass canopies or cover hoods with LED .
Sorts of Vary Hoods
These are the commonest vary hoods out there that observe the 3-inch rule:
*Word: For these sorts of vary hoods, it is essential to additionally get the right ceiling peak or distance to your vary prime.
For Residential or These With Restricted Area – Commonplace or Retractable Downdraft Hoods
For these with a downdraft hood, take be aware that the hood ought to all the time match the vary width.
It ought to have the identical width – not an inch kind of.
- Furthermore, downdraft hoods are normally mounted straight behind.
- It’s also essential to examine if the cupboard under measures 24 in depth. Extra advanced installations would require a minimal countertop depth of 24 inches.
- These are in style residential ranges as a result of they’re compact and don’t take up any cupboard house.
In case you nonetheless need a standalone vary hood that’s not near the cooking floor, you can too examine:
- Undercabinet hoods – when you have pre-installed cupboards above your cooking floor
- Cupboard vary hoods – finest for these ample house in-between cupboards
- Over-the-range microwave hoods – house savers
Customized Vary Hoods
For many who have a customized dimension vary hood, the way in which to extend air flow could be by including vary hood inserts.
They’re somewhat smaller than your customized dimension vary hood, usually by two inches.
Additions for Massive Kitchens
- When you’ve got a commercial-style kitchen, you would possibly wish to take into account fortifying your hood vent with a chimney extension.
- You can too buy a make-up air equipment. These complement highly effective vary hoods by pulling extra air into your own home when the air strain is suboptimal.
What Measurement Vary Hood Would I Want for a 36″ Vary?
At all times add 6 inches to your cooktop to get the best vary hood. Thus, when you have a 36” vary, go for a 42″ vary hood.
Can I Set up a Vary Hood Even when I Have Cupboard Installations?
Sure, there are a variety of discrete and noninvasive vent hoods you possibly can select from if you have already got cupboards preinstalled.
How Far Ought to Your Vary Hood Stick Out?
There are various vary hood sizes however be sure to get the one which’s proper on your kitchen vary. You wish to have ample cooking house and a humongous vary hood would get rid of that.
Following the 3-inch rule, your vary hood shouldn’t be greater than three inches wider on the left and three inches on the best, or 6 inches wider in whole than your kitchen vary.
Get our catalog
For the most recent traits and design inspiration, join the Construct with Ferguson catalog or browse the net model immediately. Handle Subscription View the Catalog
View the Catalog